Advertising is an indispensable part of any successful business. However, choosing the right advertising measures is not always easy. In this blog post, I introduce different types of advertising and show some examples that might inspire you.
Definition advertising measures
Promotional activities are the various methods that a company can use to advertise its products or services and bring them to the public. This includes advertising in the media, direct advertising, PR measures and sponsoring. No matter what advertising measures we take, the goal is always the same: to inform as many people as possible about our company and our products.
Because the more people we reach, the higher the chances that someone will buy from us or use our services. However, simply reaching as many people as possible is not enough. The advertising must also be designed in such a way that the recipients are interested in what we offer and preferably want to buy it right away. Only in this way is the investment in advertising measures worthwhile for us as entrepreneurs.
Where are advertising measures used?
As a rule, advertising measures are used where they are most effective. This can be in print media, on television or even online. The choice of the right medium always depends on the target group you want to reach.
The purpose of promotional activities
The purpose of advertising is to make companies and their products or services known. At the same time, the advertising message should encourage the customer to buy something or use a certain service. In short, advertising aims to attract attention and subsequently generate sales. But the effect of advertising is not always as positive as planned. Often, investments in large-scale campaigns fizzle out without a noticeable return on investment (ROI). Many factors contribute to whether a measure is successful or not – from timing to target audience to channel selection. Nevertheless, there are strategies that can significantly increase the chances of success:
Target group orientation: The advertising measures must be geared to the needs and interests of the target group. Only in this way can they attract the attention of users and subsequently lead to an action – such as clicking on a link or buying a product.
Timing: The right timing is crucial. If the target group is addressed at the wrong time, there is a high probability that the measure will fail.
Performance TrackingIn order to be able to measure the success of advertising measures, it is important to define the corresponding key performance indicators (KPIs) and to check them regularly afterwards. This is the only way to ensure that the campaign has the desired effect and to adjust it if necessary.
What factors are important?
There are a number of factors that need to be considered when planning promotional activities. This includes the
. The target group is the group of people to whom the advertisement is directed. The message is the message that is to be conveyed by the advertising.
The channel is the way through which the message is conveyed. The time frame is the period during which the advertisement is to run. Careful planning is critical to the success of an advertising campaign. All of these factors must be considered to ensure that the campaign is successful.
Which advertising measure is the right one?
Every advertising measure has advantages and disadvantages. There is no perfect solution, but there is the right solution for your business. The following four steps will help you figure out which promotional activity is best for you:
- Determine your target audience: Who should hear your message? What is the age of this group? Where does she live? What interests them? You should be able to answer these questions before you start planning.
- Set a budget: how much money do you have or can you spend? Remember that the most expensive advertising is not always the most effective. Sometimes it is enough to invest a few euros in a local newspaper.
- Decide on the right channels: In which media does your target group prefer to communicate? Which platform does she use most often (Internet, television, radio)?
- Create or commission creative work: who will design/write/film etc. your ad? Can this be done in-house or do you need outside help?
Advertising design tips
- Focus on one message Advertising should have a clear message and make the customer buy something or perform a certain action. Make sure your ads do this before you publish them.
- Use simple designs The best advertising is often that which is simple and unobtrusive. Complicated designs can put off customers and confuse the message of the advertisement.
- Stay eye-catching Advertising needs to stand out to get noticed. Use bright colors and interesting designs to grab customers’ attention.
- Keep it short and sweet Customers quickly lose patience if an ad is too long or too complicated. Keep your ads short and sweet so customers can easily understand your message.
- Be creative Creative advertising stands out and sticks in customers’ minds. Use your creativity to create interesting and original advertisements.
What are the advertising measures?
As a rule, a distinction is made between classic and digital advertising measures.
Classic advertising measures are divided into three categories:
. These three types of advertising make up the majority of traditional advertising and have been established for decades. Of course, there are other types of classic advertising, such as.
but which are not quite as widespread.
The digital advertising methods that are available include: – Social media marketing – Content marketing – Display advertising – Email marketing
Classic or digital advertising measure?
Both types of advertising can be effective, but it depends on what type of product or service you are marketing and what audience you are targeting. Traditional advertising such as newspaper ads, billboards and television commercials can have a wide reach and leave a lasting impression on people. Digital advertising tends to be more interactive and targeted. With digital advertising, you can measure exactly how many people have seen your ad and how many have clicked on it. This will give you a better idea of whether your ad campaign is successful or not.
Advertising measures Examples on content marketing, email marketing and social media marketing
Content marketing is the creation and distribution of content with the goal of reaching a specific audience and generating or retaining interest among them. It is a strategic marketing activity that does not directly promote products or services, but rather indirectly through informative and interesting content. Content marketing can appear in a variety of formats, such as blog articles, white papers, e-books, or podcasts. The better the content, the higher the chance of success – because good content has added value for the reader and is therefore easy to distribute. Bad content, on the other hand, usually goes unnoticed by the masses – even if it initially generated attention.
Social Media Marketing
Social media marketing is the use of social media to raise awareness of a business or organization and attract more customers or prospects. Among the most popular social media are Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat. Many people use these platforms regularly to keep up with news from around the world. Through targeted marketing on social media, companies can attract the attention of potential customers and generate interest in their product or service.
Email marketing is a form of direct marketing that companies use to stay in touch with their customers and prospects. Using e-mail, companies can provide information about products and services, generate new customer business, or maintain existing customer databases. Some experts believe that email is the most underrated strategy in online marketing. However, the truth is that it has become very difficult to reach people via email – mainly because of the growing number of spammers and phishers. However, if you design your emails correctly and send them to the right groups of people, this method of direct marketing can be extremely effective – both for building relationships and increasing sales.
Frequently asked questions & answers
What are promotional activities?
Promotional activities are communication tools that companies use to advertise their product and service. Choosing the right advertising measure is crucial for the success of a company. To be successful, a company must know its target group and which measures are best suited to address them.
What is the goal of promotional activities?
The aim of advertising measures is to make a company or a product better known and to generate more sales. Advertising is intended to appeal to customers and convince them to buy a particular product or use a service.
What is important in advertising measures?
Advertising measures should be adapted to the needs and motivations of potential customers in order to arouse their interest. A successful advertising campaign is characterized by a clear point of view and provides the target audience with enough information to convince them of the benefits of the product or service.
Useful tips for favorable advertising measures
Advertising is an indispensable part of any successful business. Choosing the right form of advertising is crucial to reaching your target audience and promoting your product or service. Of course, you don’t want to spend huge amounts of money on advertising either, but look for low-cost options. Here you can find some tips:
- Word-of-Mouth: Even if it seems “old fashioned”, you should use word of mouth as one of the most powerful and cheapest means of advertising. Make sure that your customers are satisfied and convince with high quality – so you save costs for new customer acquisition in the long run!
- Guerrilla marketing: With this method, great effects can be achieved – without high cost expenditure! Suitable terrain for this is, for example, the street or the interiors of stores (stickers on vending machines, etc.).
- SponsoringAs a company, you can participate in an event not only financially, but also ideally. This is a great way to raise your profile and bring joy to others at the same time.
- Social mediaIn times of Facebook, Twitter & Co. you should also present your company in social media. Here you can achieve a large reach with little effort and retain customers and win new ones with interesting content.
There are different types of promotional activities, which are suitable for different purposes. However, the right type of advertising always depends on the individual needs of the company and the target group. In order to be successful, it is important to first get accurate information and compare the different options. Then you can choose the advertising measure that best suits you and your products or services.