In the rapidly evolving world of artificial intelligence, Claude 2.1 from Anthropic and GPT-4 Turbo from OpenAI are two models that are leading the way. Both models offer impressive features, but differ in important ways such as context window size, multimodal capabilities, pricing, knowledge refresh periods, performance characteristics and ideal use cases.
Differences between GPT-4 Turbo and Claude 2.1
ChatGPT will soon support GPT-4 Turbo Both GPT-4 Turbo and Claude 2.1 are available via chat interfaces (ChatGPT and Claude Chat) and APIs. ChatGPT Pro users have access to GPT-4 Turbo and Claude Pro users already have access to Claude 2.1.
The full performance of the model will generally be reserved for the API functionality. The chat interfaces interact with the model in a limited way and have response size limitations. In addition, users cannot adjust the temperature of the model to control creativity.
Larger context window:
An essential point in which
is its industry-leading context window of 200,000 tokens, which is almost twice as long as that of
. This enables Claude to thoroughly analyze large documents of up to 150,000 words or 500 pages. Anthropic has achieved the longest context window in the AI industry to date.
This extensive processing capacity for textual information enables Claude 2.1 to thoroughly analyze large documents such as research papers, financial reports, literary works and more.
In comparison, GPT-4 Turbo has a context capacity of 128,000 tokens. Although this is still very large, the larger context window of Claude 2.1 enables better information processing. In the previous generation,Claude 2.0 was alreadyahead with 100,000 tokens compared to GPT-4 with 32,000 tokens.
GPT-4 Turbo breaks new ground with unique strengths by enabling the processing and linking of text, images, audio, video and other formats. This opens up highly creative application possibilities. It can also be combined with the new Assistants API, enabling a much wider range of use cases (including voice-activated workflows). More specifically, GPT-4 Turbo itself does not have multimodal capabilities, but can be used by default in ChatGPT can be combined with other APIs to enable multimodal workflows.
Claude 2.1 focuses exclusively on text and has no multimodal features, even when combined with Anthropic’s other APIs. It can generate tables and follow Markdown formatting, but does not offer image or audio generation functions. The company also does not offer any interfaces with which Claude 2.1 can be combined with “plugins” (or user-defined GPTs).
GPT-4 Turbo offers more flexibility for projects that require a fusion of content of different types.
The pricing of GPT-4 Turbo was developed to be more affordable compared to GPT-4. The price is USD 0.01 per 1,000 tokens for input and USD 0.03 per 1,000 tokens for output. This is almost three times cheaper than the price of GPT-3.
However, the pricing of Claude 2.1 is still more favorable. It amounts to 8 US dollars per million tokens for input and 24 US dollars per million tokens for output. Due to the smaller training dataset and fewer free accounts to support on Claude Chat, Anthropic is able to provide these prices to end users.
Knowledge update period:
GPT-4 Turbo also has an updated state of knowledge until April 2023 compared to the early state of knowledge of Claude 2.1 in 2023. These few months make a difference in the recording of very recent events.
In addition, GPT-4 Turbo is expected to be available in ChatGPT, which will enable Internet surfing in the multimodal chat by default.
OpenAI vs Anthropic:
Anthropic and OpenAI are fundamentally different companies and are pursuing separate paths in the development of AI for humanity.
The recent drama surrounding OpenAI has highlighted its complicated and unusual structure, in which a small non-profit organization controls the company’s destiny. Microsoft has invested OpenAI 2023 with over 10 billion US dollars, and OpenAI trains its models on Azure.
On the other hand, Claude is being developed by Anthropic, a company that is developing a kind of “code of conduct” for AI models. Amazon will invest up to $4 billion in Anthropic, and they could benefit from the partnership with the newly released Amazon Q in AWS.
This means that OpenAI is likely to develop and launch products faster than Anthropic, as they follow less restrictive rules before publishing. Even if privacy is important to you, you may want to review their policy to make sure they are not training your model with your data. Akkio guarantees the privacy and security of your data on our platform when using GPT-4.
Ideal use cases for GPT-4 Turbo
GPT-4 Turbo offers clear advantages in the areas of multimodal functions, integration with the Assistants API and GPT-4 Vision. Therefore these are
the best applications for the GPT-4 model
- Programming: GPT-4 has long been used for Github Copilot, the leading coding assistant for developers worldwide, which is now also available in Visual Studio. GPT-4 Turbo has similar capabilities at a much lower price.
- Visualization: In combination with the Assistants API, GPT-4 Turbo can write and execute Python code. This enables the generation of diagrams and visualizations of all kinds.
- Data analysis: Thanks to the Code Interpreter available via the Assistants API, developers can use GPT-4 Turbo to perform data cleansing, column merging and even generate fast machine learning models.
- Content Generation: GPT-4 Turbo is also likely to be available soon in ChatGPT, where a huge range of features are already available to ChatGPT Plus users, including DALL-E 3 for image generation, GPT-4 for text generation, encoding and code interpreter, and image generation – all in one monthly package.
Ideal use cases for Claude 2.1
Claude 2.1 is significantly better than GPT-4 Turbo for all industries where the input size plays a role. For example:
- Document analysis: Would you like to analyze 400-page documents? Claude 2.1 can do this easily and return context-related information. The accuracy will probably be higher than with other LLMs. Thanks to the larger context window, you will feel the difference in performance.
- Text creation: Model outputs are only as good as the input. By providing Claude 2.1 with more data, it is generally better suited to generating high-quality long-form content and human-like speech.
- Summaries: If you want to summarize long content like books, the context of Claude 2.1 is a massive support.
- Advertisements: Thanks to its more natural-sounding text, Claude 2.1 is ideal for creating marketing copy for ads on Google & Microsoft Search or on social networks such as Meta and YouTube.
- GPT-4 Turbo has multimodal capabilities for processing text, images, audio, video, etc., while Claude 2.1 focuses exclusively on text processing. This makes GPT-4 better for creative applications.
- Claude 2.1 has a significantly larger context window of 200,000 tokens compared to GPT-4 Turbo with 128,000 tokens. This allows Claude to analyze long documents more thoroughly.
- The knowledge update period for GPT-4 Turbo is April 2023, which gives it an advantage over Claude 2.1 with an earlier update period when recording very recent events.
- GPT-4 Turbo is better suited for coding, while Claude 2.1 shines in the areas of text creation and human-like responses. Publication dates.
- The new OpenAI model was published on November 6 at the DevDay conference. Anthropic released their new model Claude 2.1 after the drama surrounding OpenAI, which led to a new board and Sam Altman at the helm.
Set new standards in marketing with the neuroflash AI content suite
Discover the advantages of the neuroflash AI Content Suite! We offer you a comprehensive, user-friendly and data-driven solution for all your marketing and content goals. With us, you not only get a powerful word processor, but much more. Our suite intelligently combines the creation of images and text to offer you maximum versatility.
The special thing about our AI Insight technology is that you can create content that not only stands out, but also creates an emotional resonance with your target group. With neuroflash, you can ensure that your content is precisely tailored to the needs and emotions of your target group.
Our advanced context processing allows you to perform in-depth analysis and precise content without compromising on creativity. Whether you work in a team or alone, we at neuroflash support you in every challenge.